Saturday, April 28, 2007

Made from Scratch

So I've been re-reading the Little House on the Praire books. One thing I admire about that era is how much settlers made on their own. They made their own homes and clothes, often hunted for their own food, picked fruits, grew vegetables, and stored up for the winter. I love the idea of making things from scratch, and enjoy doing it when we have an opportunity.
Last week Daniel finished making shelves for our house. I like how they turned out- they're rustic looking.
Today I made bagels from scratch. The 3 different types included: oat and poppyseed; red pepper, minced onions, seasoned salt, and sesame; and sundried tomato and basil (from home-made sundried tomatoes and the basil we are growing).
Part of me wishes I lived in that era, though it was filled with hard work and different types of challenges than we face today. I hope that some day I am able do to more from scratch- have a garden, sew more, etc. But for now, potted plants, and cooking will have to do.
Our strawberry plant

No comments: