Saturday, March 03, 2007

Independence Weekend at Pico Duarte

Last weekend Daniel and I had the wonderful experience of hiking up Pico Duarte, (a little over 10,000 feet) with 6 others from Jarabacoa. The first day we hiked over 12 miles, and it took about 11 hours, due to stops, rests, etc. That day was exhausting, and many of us were carrying packs (I was not carrying much). We had two mules and two guides with us, so the mules carried some of our supplies. We ended our hike wet, cold, hungry, and tired. When we arrived at Peak Camp (the next stop after Aguita Fria on the map) we made tacos (we had already precooked and froze meat and rice with seasonings- rice is a great addition to meat in tacos), heated it up, added veggies, and had great tacos. We also roasted marshmallows.

The next morning (Sunday) we woke up bright and early to make it to the top before the clouds set in.

We ate a breakfast of pancakes and eggs, and then set off to the peak. When we reached the peak, it was very foggy, but the fogs eventually lifted on one side of the mountain, and we were able to see distant mountains and the valley near Pico. It was a beautiful view, and I did not notice the small amounts of sun that I was receiving. At that height, it didn’t take much to give me a nasty burn on my face and legs!

We hike halfway down to the peak camp and had lunch and praise time and fellowship. Then we proceeded to our campsite, had some free time, and then had a delicious dinner of rice and beans. While we were there, some Koreans arrived. Regan knew a few of them, as one had lived in the same house as him for a few months. So, in addition to our filling dinner, we ate Korean food while hiking in the D.R!

After we stuffed ourselves, we made stick bread (bread cooked on sticks over the fire). Katie taught the others at the camp to do it as well (other hikers, guides, etc.), and we had a great communal stick-bread party!

Monday morning we started the day with mashed potatoes and gravy (instant, of course), and loaded eggs. It was a good breakfast to begin our long hike down the mountain. This time it took us 9.5 hours to get down. In all, we estimated about 30 miles of hiking.

We had a wonderful trip, full of fun, good food, singing, laughing, falling in mud, and even fencing. I’m so glad we were able to go! Next time we attempt it, we’ll have an extra bundle to take with us!

For more pics, go to

1 comment:

Regan said...

Correction: Two Koreans lived at the same house as me.