Friday, September 07, 2007

Changing Seasons...

So, I've finally done a make-over on our blog. Why? Well, I decided that "Married Life" wasn't a very accurate description of our lives anymore. I decided we needed a title that better described our lives, and with that, we needed a new design that fit. Why "Changing Seasons?" Many reasons. First of all, since living here, I have realized the importance of seasonal change in my life. After living in year-round summer for two years, I have discovered how important the transition from warm, to cool, to cold, and back again is for me. My favorite season has always been fall. I love the colors, the smells, the way the fresh-but not freezing- wind feels on my face. And I miss it terribly. I don't miss the cold Chicago winters, but I do miss beautiful snowy days. However, even though I don't get to experience seasonal weather changes, my life is full of changing seasons. And this gets to the real reason for the title. Having a baby has probably been one of the most changing events of my life. Every single thing I do in my life is impacted- even going to the bathroom! (the times I either have to rush or hold it because setting down the baby means he'll start crying again) This has also been one of the most difficult change in my life (wonderful yes, but difficult too) due to all the adjustments. But, just as I am so grateful for the changes in seasons, I am grateful for the seasons of life. I love warm weather. I've never enjoyed having cold weather for very long. However, without the cold weather, it's hard to appreciate the warm weather as much. Living in warm weather for 2 years has given me such a longing to experience cooler weather again (now, I don't think I'd want to experience mid-west winters very often, but I could do for some kind of cold weather).
Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that transitions are important in our lives. Just like fall, they add color and bring us a fresh perspective. I'm hoping that on our blog, we will not only update you on what is going on in the D.R., but share what we're learning as we continue to face the various seasons of our lives.
So, what have I learned recently?
God has really been teaching me to appreciate the routine things in life. In one of our couple devotion times recently, we were reminded that Jesus spent about 30 of his 33 years doing "routine things." He was a carpenter and therefore did carpentry things. So many times I feel like my work around the home is of little eternal significance. I feel like I should be "out there" wherever "there" is doing something "world changing" (whatever that is). Right now, God has called me to be a stay-at-home mother. And even when I go back to work part-time in October, my main duties will still be as a wife and mother. It is tempting for me to get bored and frustrated with the "routine" things. But God's been reminding me that nothing is routine in my life as a disciple of Jesus. When I set my heart on Him and my view on eternity, even the "ordinary" becomes extraordinary. Through my work in the house home, I am letting God love my son, husband- and others that enter our home- through me. And I get to experience the love of a Heavenly Father and Savior, the joy of being a wife and mother, the security of knowing who I am in Christ, and glimpses of eternity each day! I have so much to be thankful for in this current-and every- season of my life. I still have a long ways to go, but God is definitely teaching me to set my heart on Him and rejoice, instead of feeling bogged down with the "routine." Praise the Lord!

No comments: