Saturday, May 31, 2008

Platanos Maduros en Caldero

So, I tried the plantain recipe last night. It turned out very yummy, sweet, and not-so-healthy. :) However, it wasn't as simple as I thought (it will be next time, now that I know what to do). Here was my experience:

Platanos Maduros en Caldero (Sweet Plantains in a cauldron)
2-3 T butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cinnamon stick
2-3 whole cloves
2 overripe (in between yellow and black), soft platanos (plantain), peeled and cut in half crosswise

  • Melt butter in skillet. Easy enough. And I actually used real butter (a rarity due to the price)
  • Sprinkle with sugar. Cook until sugar is almost dissolved. I thought it was dissolved and ran to get the other ingredients. Then the sugar burned. Oops...
  • I repeated the first two steps. (Grrr... I wasted some sugar and butter) This time, I had everything ready.
  • Add cinnamon stick, cloves, platanos, and water. As soon as I did this, some sugar hardened. Oops, maybe I poured the water in too quickly? But then it melted and turned out ok. Next time I may use warm water.
  • Cook over medium heat turning frequently until a thick syrup forms and platanos take on a glazed brown appearance, approximately 15-20 minutes. Serves 4. Of course, it didn't take this long, as most things don't with our "budget" propane stove.
Next time I may actually use a more yellow plantain and not one quite as ripe.
Here are the pics:



After adding spices.

Finished product

5 comments:

Erin, The $5 Dinner Mom said...

Glad it was yummy! Where are you guys living now???

Alisse Goldsmith said...

that looks delicious! i wonder if that would be good over ice cream, to cut the sweetness?

Daniel and Teresa said...

Alisse- that sounds like a very yummy idea! :)

Anonymous said...

These look wonderful. But could you do the same thing with bananas and a frying pan? Hmmm....
Thank you for this recipe.
May God bless you in your work.

Sara said...

I am glad you had a more positive plantain experience than I did; those look delicious!