Platanos Maduros en Caldero (Sweet Plantains in a cauldron)
2-3 T butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cinnamon stick
2-3 whole cloves
2 overripe (in between yellow and black), soft platanos (plantain), peeled and cut in half crosswise
- Melt butter in skillet. Easy enough. And I actually used real butter (a rarity due to the price)
- Sprinkle with sugar. Cook until sugar is almost dissolved. I thought it was dissolved and ran to get the other ingredients. Then the sugar burned. Oops...
- I repeated the first two steps. (Grrr... I wasted some sugar and butter) This time, I had everything ready.
- Add cinnamon stick, cloves, platanos, and water. As soon as I did this, some sugar hardened. Oops, maybe I poured the water in too quickly? But then it melted and turned out ok. Next time I may use warm water.
- Cook over medium heat turning frequently until a thick syrup forms and platanos take on a glazed brown appearance, approximately 15-20 minutes. Serves 4. Of course, it didn't take this long, as most things don't with our "budget" propane stove.
Here are the pics: